Highlights and Actions Items from our September 13, 2010 call:
- Welcome new member – Ellen Squillace (firstname.lastname@example.org ) from Edmonds UU
Mark your calendars – Coming Events of Interest
- ACTION ITEM – ALL members who have info on events are to disseminate further information as it becomes available.
- Edmonds Immigration Forums – 10/2/10; 2/12/10; 5/14/10
- Edmonds – ‘350’ follow-up event – October 18th service – Eating sustainably
- UU Voices to support passage of WA Bill 1098 for tax equity.
- UU Voices has a voters’ guide for WA UUs – see below this email (I expect this will only be legible if you are receiving this email in html format).
- University Unitarian Church – Immigration events on 10/31/10 and 11/6/10.
- University Unitarian Church – Water Rights on 9/25/10 – rights led by Patricia Jones
- University Unitarian Church – Social Issues – 9/26/10 – Bill Shultz.
Congregation and Regional Survey Project to Connect UUs for Social Action.
- Woodinville UU Church to pilot the survey this fall.
- ACTION ITEM: ALL members to ask their congregations if they would be interested in piloting the survey.
In reviewing the survey:
- Discussed the possibility of refocusing the survey on degree of interest and/or on the style of activism (letter writing, public witness, education, etc.) rather than degree of connectedness desired.
- Folks also saw value in looking at interest areas and connectedness.
- Folks saw value in using other means than surveying (and/or changing its name), and of layering the way that we seek information.
- A layered approach was proposed: The initial survey to mine for areas of interest and the degree that folks are interested in being connected at various levels (something like the current survey); then as folks get together to jointly pursue that interest area, they can explore (by discussion or survey or…) folks’ degree and style of involvement.
- ACTION ITEM – D2 to incorporate suggestions and propose a new draft.
Ways to get the word out to UUs about our events, etc.
- Hands-on flyers; Weekly e-updates; Social Justice email lists (generate by signup sheet at every event).
- UUA has several listserves and a revamped Social Justice Page; also PNWD listserve.
On supporting our own work:
Move to review and possibly change the day of our monthly calls:
- Folks like 9:05 pm, but we may be able to find a better day of week or month that would work better for those not yet attending.
- ACTION ITEM– ALL to go to the following link and enter your preferences. https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/wuuc.org/viewform?formkey=dDBOMUVKbTV2ZmxTcnRCS2NOS1RzcVE6MQ
- Group desires a Seattle regional face-to-face meeting twice a year. Downtown Seattle preferred to facilitate public transit use. ACTION – ALL to send your suggested events/dates to the group.
- Move to review and possibly change the day of our monthly calls:
(Previously titled 2010-09-13 - Social Action Call - Minutes)