2010-04-05 - NWUUJN Minutes
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE APRIL 5 MEETING (full minutes are here)
· 3 new participants were introduced to the group: Mark Alter (Oregon), Dick Jacke (Bellevue), Tandi Koerger (PNWD Programs)
· Energetic discussion was focused on a web-based “clearinghouse” to support ongoing collaboration by UU activists as well as to enable nimble responses to emergent issues. Desired is a clearinghouse that:
o Eases the need to advertise the same event in multiple venues.
o Provides topic-centered publishing of events, event detail, issue research, model policies/procedures, issue articles, group news, etc.
o Supports commenting and conversation around these topics.
o Links to UUA and other resources.
o Has listings of all PNWD congregations and (member-only) contact links for point persons in these congregations.
o Has a privacy-friendly mechanism for regional UUs to find other individual UUs involved in the same action issues.
· Continued exploration of how leadership will emerge for this initiative. Varied perspectives were aired:
o “Leadership in this has to come from the larger congregations… If the larger congregations can at least coalesce then we can help to find the smaller congregations.”
o “The promise of this project will lie in some of the smaller congregations… If the small congregations don’t do it, it won’t be much of a success. It is the smaller congregations who have the greatest need/motivation to connect.”
o Tandi (PNWD Programs) joined the call to provide PNWD (or request UUA) support as appropriate and needed.
· Sample website for clearinghouse is now up. Find it here. Full multi-author access begins at $20/month. Current site is free w/ one author allowed. Become a member here (that's free). Learn more about what these sites offer here and here.
ACTION ITEMS FROM THE APRIL 5 MEETING
· D2 – To get invitations out to the group for membership in the prototype website.
· D2 – To do additional thinking regarding a clearinghouse, pulling together some of the objectives we have discussed and possibly developing a sample survey.
· Barbara – To send Jaco ten Hov’s inspiring sermon on "Solidarity" to this group.
· Barbara – To let Jaco know that his name came up, etc.
· John – To contact Jaco ten Hov to get permission to post the sermon on the website and regarding ideas he might have for our efforts.
· Mark – To read the sermon and comment back to the group.
· Everyone – To read Jaco ten Hov’s sermon as you feel so moved.
· Everyone – To share with the group any events/plans from your congregation that bear on our work, together.
Our next phone meeting for
Connecting UUs for Social Justice
is scheduled for
Monday, May 3 at 9:05 pm.
Access code 887#
Detailed Minutes from our April 5 meeting are posted online here.
(Previously titled NWUUJN - Social Action Call - Highlights)