2011-01-03 - NWuuJN Minutes

December 30, 2011, 2:15 pm
Content Cover Image

OUR NEXT MEETING is confirmed for:

 

 

  Monday, January 31 at 9:05 pm.

(note – this replaces our 1st February Monday meeting)

 

  Dial 1-218-844-3366

  Access code 887#

 

 

 

SUMMARY OF ACTION ITEMS (see Minutes, below, for context)

·         ACTION ITEM:  All participants to submit to Dick Jacke their comments on the latest charter draft (attached); Dick Jacke will review and send out a final draft before our next meeting. 

·         ACTION ITEM:  Barbara Powers will create a first draft of a First Congregational Contact Script and disseminate it to our group for review by all prior to our next meeting.

·         ACTION ITEM:  All participants agreed to send out additional information on their events as that information becomes available.

·         ACTION ITEM:  Barbara Powers will discuss the possibility of a regional gathering at Edmonds UU with folks from Edmonds UU, and she will undertake some preliminary work regarding potential programs and scheduling possibilities that she will recommend to our group next month.

·         ACTION ITEM:  Doug Mackey  and Barbara Powers will send the justice committees-structure documents from their congregations out to the group, and then get together by phone to see if they can develop a recommended template to begin our work in collecting information about what folks are doing in various congregations.  

MINUTES:

 

 

On the call:   

      Dick Burkhart, DD Hilke, John Hilke, Dick Jacke, Doug Mackey, Barbara Powers

 

 

Charter Review:  Dick Jacke was thanked for his initial draft.  DD Hilke’s suggested revisions were well received by those who had had a chance to review them.  ACTION ITEMS: All participants to submit to Dick Jacke their comments on the latest charter draft (attached); Dick Jacke will review and send out a final draft before our next meeting.  GOAL: Adopt Charter at our next meeting.

 

 

General Discussion of Next steps: While the group was committed to clarifying its purposes and goals, it was also eager to move on from visioning into action. 

 

 

Contacting and enlisting area congregations:  The group recommitted to its preparations to contact area UU congregations, in order to introduce our vision, and to seek feedback and assistance in launching our network.  The group DECIDED to develop a script about who we were, what the Network hoped to offer eventually and what we were looking for from the phone calls that were going to made to area congregations in the near future. ACTION ITEM:  Barbara Powers will create a first draft of a First Congregational Contact Script and disseminate it to our group for review by all prior to our next meeting.

 

 

(Please ignore these lines)

 

 

Sponsoring a regional summit: The group echoed its interest in moving forward with sponsoring some regional gathering of UUs (a summit?) for UUs that were involved or interested in justice activities.  The group saw this work as wholly consistent with its developing charter and hoped the event would raise regional UUs’ interest in getting together and working together for justice.  It was hoped that this event would be valued both for its immediate program/results and for its promise of more in the future (through similar events AND through the growth of the Network).   The group DECIDED to move forward with the planning for this project.  Barbara Powers has tentatively offered Edmonds UU as a site for this gathering.  ACTION ITEM:  Barbara Powers will discuss the possibility of a regional gathering at Edmonds UU with folks from Edmonds UU, and she will undertake some preliminary work regarding potential programs and scheduling possibilities that she will recommend to our group next month.

 

 

Planning:  As discussion continued, several folks mentioned several other, as yet unplanned aspects of organizational and program development that we will be needing to address before we get too far into the development of our network.  For example:

·         As we begin opening up the network to members, we will need some differentiation between members of the network who contribute to and use the network resources and those that are building/coordinating the network, itself (i.e., our group). 

·         Similarly, it was mentioned that we want to invest time in a plan for rolling out and building both our organization and the Activists Network.  What will be needed?  Who will be needed?  When will it be needed?  Just what are we producing?

·         It was noted that there are a variety of purposes that our Network will fulfill, such as stewarding a clearinghouse for educational resources, events, emergent issues and online discussions; preapproved contact lists to mobilize for an event/issue; doing cooperative projects; helping folks who are in isolated communities or interested in particular issues to connect with each other, etc.  Our implementation plan will want to address how we approach each of those. 

·         Perhaps we can use the summit as part of this planning process to confirm that these are things that regional UUs want to do and to set up for them whatever organization will accomplish those things.

·         Getting our group together face-to-face was proposed to further discuss these issues, and some folks will try to get together at the PNWD regional conference in February.  However, many of us can’t make that.

·         NOTE-TAKER PROPOSES ADDITIONS TO NEXT MONTH’S AGENDA:

1.       At our next meeting, the group could develop a preliminary “planning agenda” and identify how that agenda will be pursued to eventually produce plans to:

a)      Develop whatever organization we think we need to accomplish our short and mid-term goals.

b)      Secure support and participation from regional UUs.

c)       Offer immediate and growing value to those UUs through programs, networking, resources, etc.

2.       The group can also consider whether or not to invest in a face-to-face meeting of the group to be scheduled for March or later.    

 

 

Identifying and coordinating UU justice work:  Conversation turned to how we could readily acquire and share information about the justice committees already present in regional congregations and the issues/activities that they were engaged with. What could our group do to forward acquiring and disseminating this information?  Perhaps a questionnaire regarding ongoing work with the homeless, food kitchens or supply, peace work, immigration work, what people are doing on the ground, etc. – tallying this information and knowing where the work is being done and which congregations and individuals were providing leadership.  Could each congregation be encouraged to develop a summary view of its work and where it is leading?  This one project would greatly forward what we are about. Doug Mackey (Olympia) and Barbara Powers (Edmonds) both had summary documents of their committees that might be useful in this effort.  ACTION ITEM:  Doug Mackey  and Barbara Powers will send the justice committees-structure documents from their congregations out to the group, and then get together by phone to see if they can develop a recommended template to begin our work in collecting information about what folks are doing in various congregations.  

Recent area news and upcoming events:

·         Every Sunday:  East Shore has a full schedule of events; Check their web calendar.

·         Jan 8th:  There is a legislative conference for the environment Jan 8th at Pacific University.

·         January 12th – A rally/witness to support a US soldier that is in the middle of deportation process.  He lives in Lacey.

·         Jan 17:  MLK Poverty action day.

·         Jan 25:  WUUC will be hosting “Democracy at risk?” – a public forum on campaign reform – on Tues evening, Jan 25th; 5:45 pizza and State of the Union; 7:30 Forum

·         Feb 12:  Saturday – Edmonds is hosting its second immigration Forum, focusing on People’s stories. 

·         Anytime: Edmonds has also learned that the Chilean Cultural Center has access to dance and music troops who will perform for free at churches, nonprofits, etc. (although donations welcomed!).

·         Washington State Bank program – there is growing interest and appears to be bipartisan support. (Dick Burkhart)

·         Great opportunity for young people to get involved with Afghanistan youth: Doug Mackay continues work with folks from Afghanistan.  Contact him for more information.  Next month (Feb) will be preparation for Global days of listening to be held on the Equinox.

·         Olympia reports increased involvement with immigration issues.

 

 

·         Past event to learn from: University Church hosted a highly successful screening of the film “Abused.”  Organizations that were featured in the film were successful at bringing folks to the screening which supported the event’s success.

·         ACTION ITEMS: All participants agreed to send out additional information on their events if/as that information is available.

 

(Previously titled 2011-01-03 Social Action Call - Minutes)

Glossary

Citation

Hilke, D. (2011). 2011-01-03 - NWuuJN Minutes. Retrieved from http://www.nwuujn.org/view/news/162474

0 Comments

To add a comment, please Log In.